Both the timbre variety and the saturation of a symphonic orchestra are full of allure for Robert Mlkeyan, a violinist by training. No wonder, then, that he chose the profession of a conductor. The foundations for his professional training were laid in the Saint Petersburg Conductor School, an undisputed worldwide leader among similar educational institutions, where Mlkeyan mastered simultaneously two degrees. The first was opera and symphonic conducting, and the second was choir conducting. Later Mlkeyan earned a PhD degree in Yerevan.
Mlkeyan’s professional career spans 27 years of arduous work at various organizations:
– Student Choir of Yerevan Komitas Conservatoire Composition and Musicology Department;
– Conservatoire Youth Choir (“Grand Prix” prize winner in the republican contest); Assistant Intern in Emin Kchachatrian’s class;
– Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the State Symphonic Orchestra of Gyumri; Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the Gyumri Chamber Choir (1992-2000);
– Founder of “Hay Folk” vocal ensemble in Yerevan (1995). Outstanding achievements in the Republic and numerous concert tours;
– Since 2000 – Director and Chief Conductor of the Armenian Chamber Choir. In 2008 the choir a state status was conferred on. Since then he has been the Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the Armenian State Chamber Choir;
– Concert tours in Paris, Lyon, Marseille, London (several times), Aleppo, Damascus, Latakia, Tbilisi, Moscow, Petersburg, Hannover, Frankfurt, Strasbourg. Participation of a highly prestigious international music festival in Bergamo. Concerts in prestigious concert halls such as “Donizetti’s Opera Theatre”in Bergamo, the “White Hall” in St. Petersburg, the Council of Europe Concert Hall “Salle Schweitzer at the Palais de la Musique et des Congres of Strasbourg” in Strasbourg.
– Exceptional achievements both as an individual art worker and in the office of the Director of the Armenian State Chamber Choir.
– Artistic Director of the music section of the Days of Armenia at EXPO-2000 international exhibition in Hannover.
– “ARS POETICA” CD, released by the worldwide famous ECM Sound Recording Studio.
– “ARS POETICA” CD, listed on the pages of the influential English music catalogue “THE GRAMOPHONE”.
– “Movses Khorenatsi” Medal for the significant contribution to the Armenian cultural life and music (1996).
– Respectable title of the Honored Art Worker of the Republic of Armenia (2008).